TARGETED MUSCLES: Back
WHAT YOU NEED: Sturdy chair with armrests
TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR: If you’ve had hip or back surgery, talk with your doctor before trying this stretch.
This exercise will help you do activities that require you to twist or turn to look behind you, such as backing out of a parking space or swinging a golf club. If you’ve had hip or back surgery, talk with your doctor before trying this stretch.
- Sit up toward the front of a sturdy chair with armrests. Stay as straight as possible. Keep your feet flat on the floor, shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly twist to the left from your waist without moving your hips. Turn your head to the left. Lift your left hand and hold on to the left arm of the chair. Place your right hand on the outside of your left thigh. Twist farther, if possible.
- Hold the position for 10-30 seconds.
- Slowly return to face forward.
- Repeat on the right side.
- Repeat at least 3-5 more times.