TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR: If you’ve had hip or back surgery, talk with your doctor before using the following method.
To Get Down on the Floor:
- Stand facing the seat of a sturdy chair.
- Put your hands on the seat, and lower yourself down on one knee.
- Bring the other knee down.
- Put your left hand on the floor. Leaning on your hand, slowly bring your left hip to the floor. Put your right hand on the floor next to your left hand to steady yourself, if needed.
- You should now be sitting with your weight on your left hip.
- Straighten your legs.
- Bend your left elbow until your weight is resting on it. Using your right hand as needed for support, straighten your left arm. You should now be lying on your left side.
- Roll onto your back.
Learn how to get back up from the floor safely.