TARGETED MUSCLES: Shoulders and arms
WHAT YOU NEED: Weighted objects or hand-held weights
This exercise will strengthen your shoulders and arms. It should make swimming and other activities such as lifting and carrying grandchildren easier.
- You can do this exercise while standing or sitting in a sturdy, armless chair.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor, shoulder-width apart.
- Hold weights at your sides at shoulder height with palms facing forward. Breathe in slowly.
- Slowly breathe out as you raise both arms up over your head keeping your elbows slightly bent.
- Hold the position for 1 second.
- Breathe in as you slowly lower your arms.
- Repeat 10-15 times.
- Rest; then repeat 10-15 more times.