Avoid “locking” your joints. Straighten your arms and legs when you stretch them, but don’t hold them tightly in a straight position. Always keep them slightly bent while stretching.
Here's another exercise that stretches the muscles in the back of your legs. If you've had hip or back surgery, talk with your doctor before trying this stretch.
- Sit sideways on a bench or other hard surface, such as two chairs placed together.
- Keeping back straight, stretch one leg out on the bench, toes pointing up.
- Keep other foot flat on the floor.
- If you feel a stretch at this point, hold position for 10-30 seconds.
- If you don't feel a stretch, lean forward from hips (not waist) until you feel stretching in the leg on the bench.
- Hold position for 10-30 seconds.
- Repeat at least 3-5 times.
- Repeat at least 3-5 times with your other leg.