Avoid “locking” your joints. Straighten your arms and legs when you stretch them, but don’t hold them tightly in a straight position. Always keep them slightly bent while stretching.
This exercise stretches the muscles in the back of your legs. If you've had hip or back surgery, talk with your doctor before trying this stretch.
- Lie on your back with left knee bent and left foot flat on the floor.
- Raise right leg, keeping knee slightly bent.
- Reach up and grasp right leg with both hands. Keep head and shoulders flat on the floor.
- Gently pull right leg toward your body until you feel a stretch in the back of your leg.
- Hold position for 10-30 seconds.
- Repeat at least 3-5 times.
- Repeat at least 3-5 times with left leg.