Avoid “locking” your joints. Straighten your arms and legs when you stretch them, but don’t hold them tightly in a straight position. Always keep them slightly bent while stretching.
Tip: You don’t have to use your left side. You can use your right side, if you prefer.
To Get Up from the Floor: Stand facing the seat of a sturdy chair.
- Roll onto your left side.
- Place your right hand on the floor at about the level of your ribs and use it to push your shoulders off the floor. Use your left hand to help lift you up, as needed.
- You should now be sitting with your weight on your left hip.
- Roll forward, onto your knees, leaning on your hands for support.
- Reach up and lean your hands on the seat of a sturdy chair.
- Lift one of your knees so that one leg is bent, foot flat on the floor.
- Leaning your hands on the seat of the chair for support, rise from this position.