Avoid “locking” your joints. Straighten your arms and legs when you stretch them, but don’t hold them tightly in a straight position. Always keep them slightly bent while stretching.
This exercise stretches the muscles of your lower back. If you've had hip or back surgery, talk with your doctor before trying this stretch.
- Lie on your back with your legs together, knees bent, and feet flat on the floor. Try to keep both arms and shoulders flat on the floor throughout the stretch.
- Keeping knees bent and together, slowly lower both legs to one side as far as you comfortably can.
- Hold position for 10-30 seconds.
- Bring legs back up slowly and repeat toward other side.
- Continue alternating sides for at least 3-5 times on each side.