Avoid “locking” your joints. Straighten your arms and legs when you stretch them, but don’t hold them tightly in a straight position. Always keep them slightly bent while stretching.
This exercise stretches your thigh muscles. If you've had hip or back surgery, talk with your doctor before trying this stretch. If you have trouble getting down on the floor or back up again, try the Thigh Standing stretch.
- Lie on your side with legs straight and knees together.
- Rest your head on your arm.
- Bend top knee and reach back and grab the top of your foot. If you can't reach your foot, loop a resistance band, belt, or towel over your foot and hold both ends.
- Gently pull your leg until you feel a stretch in your thigh.
- Hold position for 10-30 seconds.
- Repeat at least 3-5 times.
- Repeat at least 3-5 times with your other leg.