Avoid “locking” your joints. Straighten your arms and legs when you stretch them, but don’t hold them tightly in a straight position. Always keep them slightly bent while stretching.
Here's another exercise that stretches your thigh muscles. If you've had hip or back surgery, talk with your doctor before trying this stretch.
- Stand behind a sturdy chair with your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees straight, but not locked.
- Hold on to the chair for balance with your right hand.
- Bend your left leg back and grab your foot in your left hand. Keep your knee pointed to the floor. If you can't grab your ankle, loop a resistance band, belt, or towel around your foot and hold both ends.
- Gently pull your leg until you feel a stretch in your thigh.
- Hold position for 10-30 seconds.
- Repeat at least 3-5 times.
- Repeat at least 3-5 times with your right leg.