Avoid “locking” your joints. Straighten your arms and legs when you stretch them, but don’t hold them tightly in a straight position. Always keep them slightly bent while stretching.
Tip: As you progress, the goal is to reach higher.
This exercise increases the flexibility of your arms, chest, and shoulders, and will help you reach items on the upper shelves of your closet or kitchen cabinet.
- Stand facing a wall slightly farther than arm's length from the wall, feet shoulder-width apart.
- Lean your body forward and put your palms flat against the wall at shoulder height and shoulder-width apart.
- Keeping your back straight, slowly walk your hands up the wall until your arms are above your head.
- Hold your arms overhead for about 10-30 seconds.
- Slowly walk your hands back down.
- Repeat at least 3-5 times.