Have Fun. Be Active with Your Dog!
Being physically active can be more fun when you’re with someone else, but that someone else doesn’t have to be a person.
Here are some tips to help you and your pooch have a great time being active together. It will help you both stay fit and healthy.
Set up a routine and have fun.
- Dogs, like people, are creatures of habit. Go for walks and play about the same time each day.
- Make a plan with a neighbor to walk the dogs together.
- Take a brisk walk to your local dog park.
Be imaginative. Walks are great, but consider other activities, too.
- A game of catch is a classic.
- Agility training—create a mini-obstacle course in your yard or at the park; together, move around, through, and even under the items.
Keep safety in mind.
- Stay hydrated. On long walks, bring water for both you and your dog.
- In hot weather, go out in the morning or evening, when it’s cooler.
- In cold and snowy weather, wear boots with good traction.
- Check your dog’s paws and remove snow and ice from his footpads.
- Check yourself and your dog for ticks if you’ve been walking in the woods together.
Make your walks with Fido count. Go at a brisk pace for 20 to 30 minutes.