Helping Older Family Members Become More Active
Physical activity is a cornerstone of healthy aging, but some older adults may not be motivated to exercise alone. Here are some ideas to help get Mom, Dad, or other older family members up off the couch.
There are all kinds of activities to get the body moving:
- Walk the dog.
- Join a mall walking club or senior bowling league.
- Push your grandchild on the swing or play ball together.
- Take a group exercise class, such as a yoga class or water aerobics class.
- Try a dance class.
- Join a community garden or gardening group.
Many local organizations offer fitness programs for older people. Places to look include:
- Senior centers, community centers, and recreation centers
- Local fitness centers, YMCAs, and YWCAs
- Senior living communities
- Religious groups and places of worship
- Shopping malls
- The local Area Agency on Aging might be able to help you locate senior fitness classes and ransportation services, if needed.
Lead by example! Try doing these activities with your loved one, and you can get the same benefits, too.