Supporting Your Employees’ Physical Activity Goals
Physical activity is one of the most effective ways of staying healthy. It can improve strength and endurance, reduce the risk of heart disease, and improve overall well-being. Here are a few tips to help employees be more physically active.
Create a supportive atmosphere.
- Make sure management (including the top boss) supports efforts to promote physical activity. Management can do this by:
- Coming to employee sporting or physical activity events.
- Being physically active themselves.
- Encouraging and congratulating employees in internal publications or meetings.
- Join forces with community programs that promote physical activity.
- Invite a local health and fitness expert to make a presentation or give a demonstration.
- Invite families to worksite physical activity events like softball games.
- Use the free materials on the Go4Life website , such as tip sheets, posters, and newsletter articles.
Make physical activity happen.
- Organize a group walk during the lunch hour or form after-work sports leagues.
- Provide information about nearby fitness centers, walking trails, and sports fields.
- Make it easy for people to be physically active at your worksite:
- Provide secure bike racks in convenient locations.
- Make sure the stairs are safe and inviting to use.
- Consider flexible scheduling so that employees can be active during the day.
- Host active meetings. Encourage people to stand when they speak or provide mini-exercise breaks during meetings.
Lead by example. Be a “physically active” role model for your co-workers.