Work Out at Work
Being active is one of the most important things you can do each day. There are many ways to fit physical activity into your regular schedule, even while you are at work! Look for easy ways to add physical activity to your regular schedule:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Take a walk with co-workers during your lunch break. An exercise buddy can help you stick with your plan to be more active!
- Instead of sending an e-mail, walk down the hall and talk with a co-worker.
- Park a little farther away from your office and enjoy the walk.
- Join your company’s fitness center if there is one.
Fit exercise into your busy work day. Find 10-minute workout breaks throughout the day. There are a variety of strength, balance, and flexibility exercises you can do right at your desk.
- Upper-body strength exercises: Try the chair dip and wall push-up.
- Lower-body strength exercises: Do the knee curl and chair stand; then get up and do the toe stand, back leg raise and side leg raise.
- For balance: Stand on one foot or walk heel to toe.
- Flexibility exercises: Move around a little to warm up; then stretch your thigh, calf, and ankle. Also try the stretches for your neck, upper body, chest, and back.